Saturday 2 April 2011

Introduction to The Pilgrim Church

Edmund Hamer Broadbent (1861-1945) was a businessman and missionary from England who toured many countries in his lifetime, encouraging the Christians that he met along the way.  As he read the Bible as a young man, he desired a New Testament model of church life rather than the denominational models that were (and still are) prevalent.  As he traveled and read, he discovered many different groups of believers throughout history who attempted to achieve the same goal -- a model of church true to the New Testament standard laid out in the Bible.

His research was published in 1931 in the book The Pilgrim Church.  It is back in print again, and you can purchase it through the publisher's official website, thepilgrimchurch.com.

I took church history in Bible college, but I never learned church history the way Broadbent presents it.  I have found it to be absolutely fascinating.

I want this blog to be a place where I can take the people, movements, and topics in this book and pursue my own research and tangents wherever I want to take them.  It is not meant to be a book review but rather a book expansion.